Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rakin' Robin

Yeah, I wasn’t “rockin’” but I sure was using that rake! It’s always amazing to me how many leaves there are to get out of the way before we can even open up the camp every spring. And, of course, as I raked, words seemed to flood my head. Isn’t that the way it always is? When there isn’t time or laptop available, the ending to that short story pops into my head, the perfect wording for the poem I’ve been struggling with. And today, in these early morning hours when the house is quiet and I’ve no obligations except to try to put words on this screen, I can’t remember anything but the swish the dried leaves made as I raked them onto the tarp I then dragged across the road and then dumped the leaves into a huge pile.

Ah, that’s where all my words went, into that huge pile of leaves! By the time I get back there, they’ll have blown away.

I once wanted to live long enough to benefit from time travel. My wish now, however, is for someone to invent a devise that transfers my thoughts into a notebook for me. Especially the thoughts that come to me when I’m raking leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment