Monday, February 22, 2010

Morning Has Spoken

In the morning the words in my head rattle around upon rising. They begin to whisper to me even before I lift my head from my pillow. Sometimes it's the beginning of a poem teasing me awake, a sing song pattern of nonsense words easing me into the day with the promise of rhymes to come if I'll just open my eyes to the possibility. Or it's the dialogue needed between two characters in the story I've been working on.

Often it's an idea for a story, as it was this morning when I was in that half-dream state, wrapped tightly in the covers when hubby bent down to kiss me good-bye before he took off with the dog for their morning walk. Of course, I then bolted awake and whatever I was dreaming floated away into the lands of lost ideas.

Once the curse of what has to be done creeps into the daily routine those words that seemed so glorious upon rising evaporate.

I also discover words on long car rides, possibly because I do not drive and have the luxury of riding in the passenger seat and pretending to observe. My mind automatically begins writing after about an hour of this. There was a time when I was able to simple repeat my words and once I found paper I'd have a complete poem; now I must have paper readily available or such delights are forever gone. Of course, I fight to read the finished product as it's often difficult to write in the dark in a moving vehicle.

Wish I could remember the rest of what started out yesterday as..... never more and often less/haunted by my second guess. It might have been "the one".

No comments:

Post a Comment